Urgent: North East Link feedback by 5pm Monday 18 September
by Yarra YCAT
September 17, 2017
Stop me, oh, stop me. Stop me if you think that you’ve heard this one before
Following up from last weeks update concerning North East Link, if you have a spare ten minutes you can make it count *right now* – we have until 5pm Monday 18 September! See below for ideas, links & where to send your feedback.
Read more: Zombie Project hidden in North East Link Option A?
Please contact us (email@example.com) if you know of any upcoming local events, tips, corrections, contributions and please share this with fellow residents and local groups.
1. North East Link: What we know – There are four proposed routes:
Of immediate concern to Melbourne’s inner north residents is the proposed Option A: the shortest, most direct and, almost certainly, the cheapest – connecting to the Eastern Freeway.
- Up to ten years of construction along the Eastern Freeway,
- More congestion, pollution and noise for the inner suburbs,
- Possibility of the Eastern Freeway being tolled,
- More traffic into the Eastern Freeway – is this building the case, by stealth, for yet another version of the East West Link, to potentially connect with proposed West Gate Tunnel?
- Proposed Option A route is through environmentally sensitive areas (one of Melbourne “green wedges’) and will severely impact upon numerous homes, businesses and heritage areas in Bulleen, Bellevue, Balwyn North, Kew East.
- Possible removal of the Doncaster Rail reserve along Eastern Fwy and future East Kew and Bulleen Station sites.
From Say NO to North East Link Option A: There can be no tunnelled connection to the Eastern Freeway due to the steep grades (about 8%) that would be required to take a tunnel under the Eastern Freeway, then pop up and connect to it prior to Doncaster road. There can be no tunnel portal south of Bolin Bolin/Marcellin, as the flyover ramps would still have the same problem. All possible connections to the Eastern Freeway are above ground and involve property acquisitions in Bulleen/Balwyn North.
Additional information: Samantha Dunn – The North East Link Just Won’t Work
At $10-$23 billion, the North East Link will be Victoria’s most expensive road ever but:
- Another new toll road just encourages more cars
- This road will divide communities no matter which route
- Traffic will be funnelled to a few on-ramps, creating congestion
- Trucking companies will avoid the tolls and rat-run through our neighbourhoods.
- Sensitive environmental areas and cultural sites will be damaged
- Oversized trucks and dangerous goods will still use Rosanna Road as they will be banned from tunnels.
- Investing in a public transport system that works is the best way to get cars off the road and decrease congestion:
- Our money is better spent on public transport improvements such as:
- Duplicating the Hurstbridge line
- Better, quicker signalling on Hurstbridge and Mernda lines
- More frequent and better connected bus services
- Public transport won’t carve up the Green Wedge or Banyule Flats
2. Make your North East Link feedback by 5pm, 18 September 2017
Note: email address required to register
More contact information: http://northeastlink.vic.gov.au/about/contact
3. Have another five minutes? Please email your North East Link feedback & concerns to the following:
Yarra City Council: please mention Yarra Councils strong advocacy for Doncaster Rail during their Trains Not Toll Roads campaign against East West Link (2013-2015) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Member for Melbourne: Ellen Sandell, Ph: 9328 4637, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Member for Richmond: Minister for Planning, Richard Wynne, Ph: 9415 8901, Email: Richard.email@example.com
Jenny Mikakos Ph: 9462 3966, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Greg Barber Ph: 9348 2622, Email: email@example.com
Fiona Patten Ph: 9386 4400, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org