Ad blitz on Napthine transport plan cost Victorians $15 million

The Age: Ad blitz on Napthine transport plan cost Victorians $15 million January 6, 2015 Clay Lucas City Editor, The Age

EXCLUSIVE

The Napthine government’s unprecedented advertising blitz to promote its transport plans cost Victorians more than $15 million.

The cost of the ad campaign has been revealed after a drawn-out freedom-of-information request begun by Fairfax Media last February, and only released after the election of a new state government.

The documents released under freedom of information show that, at the height of the former government’s “Moving Victoria” campaign, more than $1 million a month was being spent telling Victorians about improvements to their road and public transport networks.

The campaign involved thousands of adsrunning across television, radio, online, billboards and in more than 60 local, regional and foreign language newspapers.

But many of the projects being advertised, including the now dumped East West Link, were years from completion.

Among the ads was one promoting a proposed airport rail line with services every 10 minutes. The rail link was not scheduled to open until 2026. Continue Reading…

Vic won’t cop huge road link bill

Daily Mail: Vic won’t cop huge road link bill: Premier 21 December 2014

Victorians will not be hit with a huge compensation bill for the stalled East West Link, Premier Daniel Andrews says.

Mr Andrews wrote to the East West Connect Partnership last week requesting a halt to work on the controversial project, which was signed off by the previous state government.

His government has now received breach notices from the consortium building the $6.8 billion road, News Corp Australia reports.

Mr Andrews said on Sunday the government was working through the matter with the East West Connect Partnership.

Asked if Victorians would be up for a massive compensation bill, the premier said: “No, I don’t think so.”
He said there had been discussions between the winning bidder and government representatives.

“We’re going to work through this carefully in a fundamentally responsible way,” he said.

Mr Andrews has said previously he received a “whole raft of legal advice” before instructing the consortium to stop work on the tunnel.

East West Link business case publicly released


15 December 2014: News coverage from ABC Victoria, Seven News Melbourne and 9 News on the (now) publicly released East West Link business case.

Especially worth watching for John Ferguson from The Australian dishing it out to ex-Treasurer Michael O’Brien.

« Previous PageNext Page »