Napthine thumbs his nose at Victorians over EW Link

Protectors of Public Lands Victoria Inc. (PPL VIC) – Media Release Thursday 27 November 2014

Napthine thumbs his nose at Victorians over EW Link

Everyone knows that that the Coalition Government (now in caretaker mode) led by Denis Napthine has already signed the contracts for the infamous East West Link Toll Road in advance of the election this Saturday. What the public may not appreciate is that the East West Connect, a consortium contracted to carry out the construction of the biggest infrastructure project ever seen in Victoria, has already commenced work on the project in Royal Park. Last week teams of EWC surveyors moved in and commenced marking trees for removal in the vicinity of the planned tunnel entrance over the Ross Straw Field in Royal Park West as well marking what appears to be a construction road up Brens Drive, through the State Netball and Hockey Centre carpark and north on to the area of Royal Park designated by Linking Melbourne Authority for a construction camp and carpark.  Continue Reading…

Park activists plan fresh East West Link challenge

The Age: Park activists plan fresh East West Link challenge. November 23, 2014

Royal Park Community Group amongst trees that have been marked for removal to make way for East-West Link plans at Royal Park, Parkville. Photo: Paul Jeffers

Royal Park activists are preparing a new legal challenge to the East West Link, claiming Planning Minister Matthew Guy granted “unorthodox” exemptions to heritage protection to pave the way for the tunnel.

On October 21, Planning Minister Matthew Guy approved Royal Park’s listing on the state’s heritage register including what critics said were a series of “highly unusual” exemptions specifically for the East West Link project to be built through the park.

The minister had called in the heritage application after Heritage Victoria’s executive director had recommended the 188 hectare park be registered.

Documents posted by Heritage Victoria say the approval exempts all construction work associated with the $6.8 billion tunnel from requiring a permit, including digging the tunnel using deep “cut and cover” techniques and creating a tunnel portal. Continue Reading…

Royal Park vigil + photo shoot

Sue Jackson: ‘Could you please ask your surveyors to exit Royal Park?’

Cathy was handed this notice yesterday by the East-West Connect contractors she met in Royal Park. Just in case you can’t read it, it says: ‘If you have any questions about the East West Link project please call 03 9828 5135’. So, meeting at 6.30 this morning at the park and spotting a group of surveyors already at work, Jill did exactly as requested. Her question was a simple one: ‘Could you please ask your surveyors to exit Royal Park?’ The somewhat bemused Lendlease employee on the other end of the line said that although she personally did not have the authority, she would certainly pass on the request. Surprisingly, when I left Royal Park for work at 8am, we were still awaiting our reply. (More in link)

Continue Reading…

« Previous PageNext Page »