Victoria to launch fresh push for Commonwealth’s East West Link funds

[ A+ ] /[ A- ]

ABC News: Victoria to launch fresh push for Commonwealth’s East West Link funds By state political reporter Alison Savage

The Victorian Government has promised to continue to lobby the Commonwealth to spend federal funds allocated for the East West Link on other transport projects in the state, a day after the contracts for the controversial tunnel were scrapped.

Contracts to build the toll road were cancelled yesterday after the Government struck a deal with the East West Connect consortium.

Under the agreement, the consortium gets $339 million for costs already incurred on the project since contracts were signed by the former government last September.

The Commonwealth had already given Victoria $1.5 billion for the East West Link and had promised a further $1.5 billion for the second stage of the project.

Government-consortium agreement:

$339 million to be paid to East West Connect
$81 million in bank fees to be reallocated to Melbourne Metro Rail project
Residents forced out of homes by project given green light to return
Treasurer says settlement will not affect budget or triple-A credit rating

Premier Daniel Andrews said the Government would have infrastructure announcements to make in the state budget on May 5.