Vic won’t cop huge road link bill
December 21, 2014
Daily Mail: Vic won’t cop huge road link bill: Premier 21 December 2014
Victorians will not be hit with a huge compensation bill for the stalled East West Link, Premier Daniel Andrews says.
Mr Andrews wrote to the East West Connect Partnership last week requesting a halt to work on the controversial project, which was signed off by the previous state government.
His government has now received breach notices from the consortium building the $6.8 billion road, News Corp Australia reports.
Mr Andrews said on Sunday the government was working through the matter with the East West Connect Partnership.
Asked if Victorians would be up for a massive compensation bill, the premier said: “No, I don’t think so.”
He said there had been discussions between the winning bidder and government representatives.
“We’re going to work through this carefully in a fundamentally responsible way,” he said.
Mr Andrews has said previously he received a “whole raft of legal advice” before instructing the consortium to stop work on the tunnel.