ROADS Minister Terry Mulder has played down hopes of an early start to construction on the proposed East-West Link.
Mr Mulder conceded there was “an awful lot of work” to be done first
His caution was at odds with Planning Minister Matthew Guy, who pledged work on the 18km road joining the Eastern Freeway and Western Ring Road would begin before the 2014 election…
“We’ve made some significant steps in terms of advancing that but, as I say, in terms of an exact date on the announcement of commencement of construction, I’d like to be a bit better informed in terms of what the outcomes are from the development of the business case,” Mr Mulder said.
The State Government has not secured any federal funding necessary to build the road, estimated to cost about $13 billion.
The Herald Sun revealed yesterday Victorians could pay tolls of almost $1 million a day to use the link. It can also be revealed more than 100 properties would have to be acquired to build the western section.
Linking Melbourne Authority chief executive Ken Mathers said there had been an “incredible level of interest” in the project from construction contractors.
Amelia Harris, Herald Sun,December 11, 2012