The report has been republished by YCAT in the interest of public transparency.
Transport expert Sir Rod Eddington was commissioned by the previous Victorian Government to conduct an independent study into improving east-west transport connections across Melbourne. His team carried out extensive research, modelling and analysis.
The final report, Investing in Transport, was released in March 2008.
Investing in Transport: Overview
This overview presents a summary of the key findings, analysis and modelling undertaken during the study, as well as the recommendations made to the Victorian Government. A comprehensive discussion of these issues is contained in the main report and in the specialist consultant reports listed below.
- Investing in Transport Overview (PDF, 10.4 MB, 96 pp.)
- Investing in Transport Overview (DOC, 10.0 MB, 91 pp.)
Investing in Transport: Main report
- Investing in Transport: Main report (PDF, 35.1 MB, 295 pp.)
- Overview and summary of findings
- Chapter 1: Melbourne – a changing and growing city
- Chapter 2: Mobility matters
- Chapter 3: Public transport – on a roll
- Chapter 4: Melbourne’s roads – more traffic, more congestion
- Chapter 5: East-West road travel
- Chapter 6: Moving goods – the growing freight task
- Chapter 7: Public transport and the Doncaster corridor
- Chapter 8: Transport and the environment
- Chapter 9: The way forward
- Chapter 10: Funding and delivery options
- Appendices, acronyms and references
Supporting technical documents
The following documents were prepared during the study and date from 2007 and 2008 and are available as reference material only.
Note: due to the complexity of maps in these documents, they may take some time to download.
Environment & heritage
- Meyrick and Associates – Transport and the Economy (PDF, 877 KB, 91 pp.)
- Meyrick and Associates – Economic Benefits and Costs Analysis (PDF, 273 KB, 56 pp.)
Transport planning & costing
- SKM Maunsell/Evans & Peck – Transport Supply and Demand (Existing and Future) (PDF, 11 MB, 187 pp.)
- SKM Maunsell/Evans & Peck – Engineering Design and Costing (PDF, 25 MB, 126 pp.)
Demographics, social & land use
- SGS Economics & Planning – Demographic, Social and Land Use Analysis (PDF, 11 MB, 93 pp.)
- SGS Economics & Planning – The East-West Transport Link, Urban Structure and Victoria’s Prosperity (PDF, 2.4 MB, 47 pp.)
- SGS Economics & Planning – Demographic, Social and Land Use – Final Options Assessment (PDF, 7.8 MB, 66 pp.)
Commercial & financial
- Ernst & Young – First report (Phase 1) (PDF, 697 KB, 46 pp.)
- Ernst & Young – Second report (Phase 3) (PDF, 691 KB, 41 pp.)
- Veitch Lister Consulting – Background Modelling Assumptions (PDF, 1.8 MB, 35 pp.)
- Veitch Lister Consulting – Zenith Model Establishment and Validation Report (PDF, 1.7 MB, 35 pp.)
- EWLNA Study Team – Folio of Modelling Outputs (PDF, 38 MB, 116 pp.)